After reading about carob and how it tastes like cocoa, I was fascinated and bought a bag. During that time, I hadn’t eaten chocolate or cocoa for a while because it was causing me issues. An alternative to cocoa that tastes like cocoa? Sign me up. Well, I hate to say it, it does not taste like cocoa. Slightly malty and sweet, yes, but definitely not cocoa-ey.
So there I was, stuck with a bag of carob and not knowing what to do with it. I stumbled over this recipe, which is pretty good. It’s packed full of nutrition and was a great way of using up the carob!
CAROB, COCONUT & SUNFLOWER BITES (paleo)
adapted from paleo plan: paleo candy bars
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 30 g (1/4 cup) carob powder
- 70 g (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds, ground
- 75 g (3/4 cup) unsweetened, desiccated (shredded) coconut
1 tablespoon softened honey
1. Mix everything together and press into a small container lined with parchment.
2. Chill until set. Remove from container and cut into squares. Enjoy!