Honey has been considered the food of the Gods for thousands of years. If you love honey, you will love the taste of it when it’s been caramelized. With the addition of a little water, lemon juice and low heat transforms honey into a delicious blend of complex flavors. It’s rich in color, slightly nutty and lightly sweet. It’s perfect over ice cream, on buttered toast, in tea/coffee, or any other recipe that calls for honey.
HOW TO CARAMELIZE HONEY
- 450 g (1 lb) honey*
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
* I used raw, organic honey
1. In a saucepan, mix together the honey, water and lemon juice
2. Heat over low heat, stirring with a rubber spatula until the mixture starts to simmer.
3. Once simmering, do not stir again, but leave to simmer for 1-2 minutes, no longer.
4. Once the honey is darker in color and has a nutty aroma, remove from heat and pour into a clean bowl, bottle or jar.
5. Allow to cool before using.