If you’re familiar with the dried golden breadcrumbs that you can buy in British supermarkets, but can’t get hold of them, you can make them yourself. The best thing is that you can make use of old bread at the same time. The trick is to toss the “fresh” breadcrumbs with paprika and turmeric, bake them until dry and then re-blitz them until fine.
HOW TO MAKE GOLDEN BREADCRUMBS
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Blitz chunks of stale wholemeal (whole wheat) bread in a food processor until they turn into breadcrumbs. Toss in a pinch or two of turmeric and paprika.
2. Spread breadcrumbs onto a baking tray (sheet/pan) about 1.25 cm (½ inch) deep.
3. Bake in middle of preheated oven for 7-10 minutes, stirring them once. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
4. Switch off the oven and leave breadcrumbs in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
5. Return breadcrumbs to food processor and blitz until you get fine breadcrumbs.
NOTE: These breadcrumbs freeze well. Simply pop them into a plastic container and freeze until needed. You do not need to thaw them before you use them.