A friend of mine, Marissa inspired me to make this salad. I changed the quantities a little and played around the seasoning, but it was one tasty salad! I’m making it again this Friday, I can’t wait.
It’s an all-in-one meal – you have quinoa, beans, green peppers, tomatoes and avocado tossed together with fresh coriander (cilantro), cumin and lime juice. What’s not to like? I normally use black beans, but on this occasion, I used chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
As I’ve noted before, we’re pretty big eaters, the following recipe feeds just the 2 of us, however, I’m pretty sure it can easily feed 6 people!
MEXICAN-INSPIRED QUINOA SALAD
- 150 g (¾ c) red/white quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 large green peppers, de-stalked, seeded, diced
- 2 ripe medium avocados, skinned, stoned, diced
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) tin black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 spring (green) onions, finely sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Dried oregano, to taste
- Ground cumin, to taste
- Dried/fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, to taste
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the quinoa, peppers, avocados, tomatoes, beans, spring (green) onions into a very large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients – olive oil, lime juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, jalapeno, coriander (cilantro) and season to taste.
3. Gently toss the salad with the dressing, adjust the seasoning if required and serve, enjoy!