I’ve never been the pasta salad type of gal… that was before I invented this dish! It’s currently my favorite salad. I’m only a little disappointed that it’s now winter and it’s too cold for us to enjoy it.
This dish has been tweaked from my Mexican quinoa salad dish. It contains carbohydrates from the pasta, protein from chicken, fruit from the cherry tomatoes, avocadoes and olives, dairy and fats from feta cheese, olive oil and monosaturated fats from avocado. It really is a complete meal in one.
I do however, warn you that the following recipe will feed at least 4, if not 6 people. However, since we’re big eaters, we ate the whole amount in one sitting.
CHICKEN, AVOCADO AND TOMATO PASTA SALAD
- 170 g (2 c) penne pasta, cooked to al dente, drained and chilled
- 2 skinless chicken thigh fillets, poached, chilled and cut into cubes
- 20 g (2 tablespoons) pitted and roughly chopped oil-cured black olives
- 450 g (1 lb) baby plum (grape) tomatoes
- 60 g (6 tablespoons) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- ¼ small red onion, finely diced
- 2 small green peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 large pinches dried basil, crushed
- 1 pinch chilli flakes or to taste (optional)
1. Toss penne, chicken, olives, tomatoes, feta cheese, onion, peppers, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, basil and chilli together.
2. Gently toss the avocados in and serve. Enjoy!