These waffles are crisp on the outside and incredibly soft and moist on the inside. They are easy to make, and are perfect for breakfast or brunch. Be sure to use a deep waffle iron to create the biggest pockets for butter and syrup!
BELGIAN-STYLE YEAST WAFFLES
adapted from king arthur flour: belgian-style yeast waffles
makes two – 17.75 cm (7 inch) waffles
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) lukewarm milk
- 45 g (3 tablespoons) melted salted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 125 g flour (1 cup, sifted) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried active yeast
1. In a large bowl, mix everything together to create a smooth batter.
2. Cover and chill overnight*.
3. Transfer half of the batter into a greased and pre-heated waffle iron/maker, and cook as directed by the manufacturer’s guidelines.
4. Serve with butter, syrup, whipped cream or whatever you fancy. Enjoy!
* If you want to eat waffles today, you can let the batter rest for 1 hour at room temperature before proceeding to step 3.