These treats are sweet, chewy, crispy, and made with just four ingredients: honey coconut butter, Barbara’s brown rice crisps (a healthier version of rice krispies) and salt. There have been so many variations of this recipe that I can’t remember where the original recipe came from. I’ve tried cashew butter, sun butter, and even puffed quinoa, and have settled on this recipe as my go-to Friday night treat.
Note: these treats are at their chewiest when chilled.
RICE KRISPIES TREATS (dairy-, refined sugar-free)
makes a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan
- 45 g (2 tablespoons) honey
- 25 g (2 tablespoons) coconut butter, or nut butter of your choice
- 60 g (2 cups) Barbara’s brown rice crisps
- 1 tiny pinch salt
1. Gently heat the honey, coconut butter and salt together in a small pan* over medium-low heat until softened and liquidy. Stir to combine.
2. Working quickly, stir in the salt, and then gently stir in the brown rice crisps to evenly coat.
3. Pour the mixture into a 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf pan and press evenly into the pan using the back of a spoon.
4. Freeze until set, tap out of the pan and cut into pieces. Enjoy!
* alternatively, you can heat the mixture in a microwave