I was really intrigued with this recipe when I saw it. A dairy-free cheeze made from zucchini? Really? I decided to make it with agar flakes instead of gelatin. The cheeze did set, but the texture was quite odd… nothing like the cheeses I used to eat. I’m not sure if the texture is the same when making it with gelatin, but I am not a fan. The flavor? Ohhhhh the flavor. It tasted like zucchini with nutritional yeast. I couldn’t get past that, and although I love zucchini and nutritional yeast, it just didn’t taste like cheese to me. Saying that though, it may pass for a mild cheeze.
I give this cheeze a rating of 1 out 5.
ZUCCHINI CHEESE (dairy-free, vegan)
adapted from gutsy by nature: zucchini cheese
- 200 g (7 oz), peeled and sliced zucchini, steamed for 5 minutes until soft, cooled
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon agar flakes, heated with 4 tablespoons water until the flakes dissolve
- finely grated carrot for color (optional)
1. Line a mini loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. Blend together the zucchini, coconut oil, and lemon juice until completely smooth.
3. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, agar solution and grated carrot, if using. Blend.
4. Pour into prepared pan, and chill for at least 2 hours, or until set.
5. Slice into chunks, or as desired. Enjoy!