Thin mint cookies are sold by girl scouts as a fundraising activity in US. There are other varieties of cookies, but A likes the thin mints the best. They aren’t the healthiest of cookies, but people do love them. Here is a simple and healthier alternative, which takes no time to make. Round crackers are dipped in peppermint flavored dark (bittersweet) chocolate. That’s it. You will be surprised how good they taste.
Please be kind to yourself and use round crackers that aren’t full of junk. The better ones I’ve found are: Field Day Organic Round Crackers, Back to Nature Classic Round Crackers and Late July Classic Rich Crackers. Note: these are in no means “healthy”, but they are better than most.
NO-BAKE THIN MINT COOKIES
adapted from dessert for two: thin mints
- 20 round crackers
- 170 g (6 oz) dark (bittersweet) chocolate
- 10 g (2 teaspoons) butter
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, or to taste
1. Line a baking pan with parchment/wax paper.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler (bowl over simmering water)*. Once melted, stir in the peppermint extract.
3. With the use of a fork, dip each cracker into the chocolate, tap off the excess, and transfer to the pan to set. The cookies can be chilled to speed up the setting time, if desired.
* You can also microwave the chocolate and butter on low power until melted, and then add the peppermint extract, but be careful not to scorch the chocolate.