You know Vichyssoise? Well, this soup is sort of like Vichyssoise, but different. It’s a little unconventional, using white sweet potatoes instead of “normal” potatoes, and coconut butter instead of cream. The resulting soup is thick, and on the slightly sweeter side. It’ll be great with a thick slice of garlic bread.
WHITE SWEET POTATO & LEEK SOUP (dairy-, nightshade-free)
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2-3 peeled garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 g (5.3 oz) leek, trimmed, cleaned, sliced
- 300 g (10.5 oz) white sweet potato, peeled and diced
- freshly boiled water, as needed
- 25 g (~2 tablespoons) creamed coconut/coconut butter
- fish sauce*, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 spring (green) onion, sliced for garnish (optional)
* to make this vegan, use vegetable stock in place of the fish sauce and water.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then sauté the onion and garlic until aromatic.
2. Add the sliced leek and cook for another 1-2 minutes, then add the sweet potato.
3. Add just enough hot water to cover the sweet potato and leek by 2.5 cm (1 inch).
4. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
5. Blend the mixture with a hand/immersion blender until the soup is smooth.
6. Stir in the creamed coconut (coconut butter) until melted, and thin the soup out with water if necessary.
7. Season with fish sauce and pepper. Garnish with spring (green) onion, if using. Enjoy.