What’s not to love about root vegetables? They are delicious, affordable, and packed full of nutrients! The sweet combination of the vegetables in this soup complements the light gingery spiciness, while the coconut butter gives it a luscious creaminess. All in all, this is a great soup to enjoy when it’s winter and cold outside.
GINGERY SWEET POTATO, PARSNIP & CARROT SOUP (dairy-free)
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) peeled ginger root, finely chopped
- 150 g (5.3 oz) peeled sweet potato, cubed
- 100 g (3.5 oz) parsnips, cubed
- 100 g (3.5 oz) carrots
- boiling water, as needed
- 25 g (~2 tablespoons) softened creamed coconut/coconut butter
- fish sauce* to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- spring (green) onions, sliced, for garnish (optional)
* to make this vegan, use vegetable stock
1. Heat the oil in medium sized pan over medium-high heat. When hot, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger until aromatic.
2. Add the sweet potato, parsnips and carrots, stir for a minute, before adding just enough hot water to cover the vegetables by 2.5 cm (1 inch).
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
4. Remove pan from the heat, and blend the soup using a hand/immersion blender until smooth.
5. Stir in the creamed coconut until melted. If the soup is too thick, add a little water.
6. Season with fish sauce and black pepper, ladle into a bowl, and garnish with green onions, if using. Enjoy!