Have you ever tried the Parmesan cheese available in canisters? You know, the stuff that smells like puke. I guess it’s an acquired taste, but I’ve never liked the stuff. The only way that this cheese is similar to that puke stuff, is that it’s sort of “ground”. I wanted a Parmesan cheese that didn’t melt into pools of coconut fat (a problem of the coconut based Parmesan). This recipe fits the bill. Cashews are the base, nutritional yeast adds the cheesiness, and vitamin c powder adds the distinctive tang. It’s tangy, cheesy, and salty. It’s perfect on pasta or sprinkled over salad. I love it with pasta and no-mato sauce.
DAIRY-FREE PARMESAN CHEESE (CASHEW BASED)
makes 1-2 servings, depending how greedy you are
- 65 g (1/4 c) raw cashews
- 1-1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- scant 1/4 teaspoon vitamin c crystals
1. Blitz the cashews in a small food processor until just finely chopped. Be careful not to over-process to powder/cashew butter.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, and pulse to mix. Sprinkle over whatever you choose. Enjoy!