I love hummus. It’s creamy, smooth, delicious and packed full of protein (isn’t that the in thing these days?) This version is awesome because it’s free of tahini (ground sesame seeds). The secret is using some of the bean juice from the tin. I didn’t believe it at first, but the bean juice really does make the hummus super-smooth. I enjoy this with raw and roasted vegetables, or simply on its own.
CREAMY AND SMOOTH TAHINI-FREE HUMMUS
adapted from oatmeal with a fork: my secret tahini-free hummus
makes 4-6 servings
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 – 427 g (15 oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed, do not discard the bean juice
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons reserved bean juice (also works well with water)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ground cumin, to taste
1. Blitz all of the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. This may take a few minutes, be patient. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with paprika and/or drizzle with olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!