I was super-skeptical about this recipe when I first saw it, but after making it, I was pleasantly surprised. This cheese (or should I call it cheeze) shaves/grates well, is creamy, salty and tangy, and perfect on salads. It’s made with simple ingredients blended together until smooth and allowed to set. Since this cheese is primarily made from coconut butter and coconut oil, it melts really easily. When added to anything warm/hot, the cheese melts into pools of coconut fat: be warned. Use only on cold dishes.
DAIRY-FREE PARMESAN CHEESE (COCONUT BASED)
makes ~250 g (just over 1/2 lb)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 110 g (1/2 c) softened coconut butter
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon vitamin c crystals
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 110 g (1/2 c) melted virgin coconut oil
1. Blend the lemon juice, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, vitamin c crystals and salt together until well combined.
2. Add the coconut oil, and blend again. The mixture will be thick. Pour into a container, and freeze until solid. Grate while frozen, using a microplane grater, or shave with a knife onto any cold dish. Store in the freezer. Enjoy!