This simple dish is tasty, healthy, easy to make, and perfect for a weeknight dinner. The noodles are made from courgettes (zucchini), spiral sliced (I have the Joyce Chen spiral slicer). The noodles are free from gluten, and if you’re worried about calories and carbs, they are low in those too. I love noodles, and on the days I don’t want to reach for rice noodles (again), I make zucchini noodles. In this recipe, they are cooked with anchovies, peas and broccoli. Since the anchovies add a lot of flavor, there is no need to add salt.
ZUCCHINI NOODLES WITH ANCHOVIES, BROCCOLI & PEAS
- 300 g (10.5 oz, around three small) courgettes (zucchini), “spiralized” into noodles
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, peeled, diced
- 1 – 56 g (2 oz) tin anchovies, drained, finely chopped
- 1 handful frozen peas
- 115 g (4 oz) broccoli florets, steamed for 5-6 minutes, cooled
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a medium-sized, non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot.
2. Add garlic and fry until aromatic and lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining coconut oil in the same pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions and stir until aromatic and translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
4. Add anchovies and peas, stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in noodles and cook for about 1 minute (be careful not to overcook them, or you will end up with a watery mess).
5. Toss in broccoli and season with black pepper. Plate and enjoy!