Since the original coconut bacon recipe was so good, I wanted to create a soy-free variety. This recipe uses fish sauce, so unfortunately it’s no longer vegan.
I was a little concerned that the fish sauce would turn this snack fishy, but I didn’t even detect any fishiness (this may differ depending on the fish sauce used). The results were pretty darn good. The chips were smoky, sweet and salty at the same time, with a crunch that kept me going back for more!
SOY- AND GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT BACON
makes “not enough”
adapted from Fettle Vegan: Coconut Bacon
- 200 g (3-1/2 cups) dried coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 160 C (325 F).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the liquid smoke, fish sauce, maple syrup and water.
3. Add coconut, and stir to coat evenly.
4. Pour onto a parchment lined baking tray (sheet/pan) and bake in the top 1/3 of the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring and turning the coconut flakes every 5 minutes. Watch for burning.
5. The coconut is done when they are dry and golden. The coconut bacon will crisp up as it cools. Enjoy!!!