One weekend, A’s folks invited us over for brunch. I brought along this delicious cake for myself, since I’m weird that way… Everyone else had Eggs Benedict, while I was quite happily stuffing my face with this loaf and fresh fruit. This cake is moist, lightly coconutty, with a wonderful aroma of zesty lemon. What’s better still, is that it’s made from really simple ingredients: eggs, honey, dried coconut, lemon zest, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, which makes this loaf free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar.
My first attempt (see below) was pretty weird. The cake had split… leaving a fluffy coconut cake top and a rather weird bubbly eggy bit on the bottom. It tasted ok, but I wasn’t willing to share this with anyone. I could only assume that the lemon juice split the batter. The second time I left out the lemon juice and used just the lemon zest and it turned out perfectly. Enjoy it thickly sliced for breakfast, snacking or just afternoon tea.
makes one 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf
adapted from honey and spice: paleo coconut bread / cake
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 65 g (3 tablespoons) honey
- 1 teaspoon baking powder*
- 1 pinch vanilla bean powder
- 240 g (3 cups) unsweetened shredded (desiccated) coconut, blitzed in a food processor until finer in texture
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 small pinch salt
* commercial baking powder is usually not paleo-friendly, so I make a batch of homemade baking powder with 2 parts cream of tartar and 1 part baking soda.
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F), and line one 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf pan with parchment paper
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with vanilla and honey using electric beaters. Add remaining ingredients and beat until well combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn the heat down to 150 C (300 F) and bake for an additional 15-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, before removing the parchment lined loaf onto a wire rack to cool. Slice and serve. Enjoy!