Wow. I haven’t eaten something that resembles bread for a loooong time. I don’t miss bready things, so I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. However, after seeing this recipe, I was really curious to try what these muffins tasted like. They were pretty good, especially with jam (or butter and jam, if you can eat dairy).
I must note that if you’re looking for a like-for-like replacement of the gluten English muffins these aren’t it. There are rather like an eggy splat of coconut batter, microwaved in a ramekin and then pan-fried/toasted with butter/coconut oil in a frying pan.
I did think about having these muffins with poached or fried eggs, but then realized that I’d prefer eggs on their own.
PALEO COCONUT FLOUR ENGLISH BREAKFAST MUFFINS
adapted from beauty and the foodie: quick paleo english muffins
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1/8 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3-4 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- coconut oil for greasing
1. Grease one 9 cm (3.5 inch) diameter ramekin with coconut oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Set aside. It will be bubbly.
3. Add the remaining ingredients into the ramekin and mix with a fork. Add baking soda-apple cider vinegar mix and stir well until clump free.
4. Cook in microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds (more/less, depending on the power of your microwave), until the middle is firm.
5. Loosen muffin with a knife and unmold. Once cool enough to handle, slice sideways, and toast in a lightly buttered/oiled frying pan until browned to your liking on each side. Enjoy with the toppings or fillings of your choice!