This is a delicious and refreshing chilled dessert soup. The creamy coconut milk is slightly sweet and salty, which marries well with the chewy tapioca pearls and the incredibly juicy ripe cantaloupe.
Note: The original recipe calls for ½ teaspoon salt, but this was a tad too much for me, so omit or adjust the amount of salt for your taste buds.
TAPIOCA PEARLS, COCONUT MILK & MELON
- 480 ml (2 cups) water, kettle boiled
- 85 g (1/2 cup) uncooked small tapioca pearls
- 2-1/2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 300 ml (1-1/4 cups) full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional, see note above)
- 20 cantaloupe melon balls*
* can use melon chunks
1. Place hot water into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2. Add tapioca pearls and stir to prevent clumping. Cover saucepan and simmer mixture for 5 minutes. Stir. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the tapioca pearls are almost all translucent and the liquid is thick and gelatinous. Note: some pearls will still have a white dot in the centre). Check their doneness by tasting, they should be soft and chewy, and no longer gritty.
3. Stir in coconut milk and salt, if using. Add honey to taste, and stir. Let cool and then chill.
4. To serve**, divide soup into 4 bowls and add 5 balls of melon to each bowl. Enjoy!
** can also be served with crushed ice