Moist. Succulent. Tender. Moreish. These are the words I’d use to describe this carrot cake. It is paleo-friendly, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and sweetened with honey.
After discovering that coconut butter isn’t only tasty, but can be used as the base of cakes (see paleo chocolate brownie), I was dying to create a carrot cake with it. The ingredients are simple. The flavor and texture are unbelievable. However, I wasn’t sold on the cashew cream icing. I am sorry, but no amount of cashews or anything else will ever come close to real cream cheese frosting. I do miss that stuff…
This cake keeps moist for a few days, and although it firms up in the fridge, let it sit at room temperature and it will all be good. It is made with simple yummy ingredients: coconut butter (also coconut concentrate or creamed coconut), coconut flour, honey, eggs, carrots, raisins, spices, vanilla, baking soda and sea salt… that’s it.
I have included the icing recipe, but feel free to try the recipe with or without the icing.
This photo shows the cake with sweetened whipped coconut cream spread on top (after it has been refrigerated). It slices a lot better when chilled, but tastes just as moist once it sits at room temperature. This photo does not do the moistness any justice.
BEST-EVER GLUTEN-FREE CARROT CAKE WITH CASHEW CREAM ICING
makes one 20 cm (8 inch) square cake
cake adapted from honey and spice: paleo chocolate brownie with blueberries
cashew cream icing adapted from detoxinista: creamy cashew icing
for the carrot cake
- 240 g (1 cup) creamed coconut block, or coconut butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g (5 tablespoons) softened raw honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 200 g (7 oz, about 3 medium) carrots, grated
- 30 g (3 tablespoons) raisins
for the cashew cream icing
- 100 g (3/4 cup) raw cashews, soaked 2-3 hours, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 160 C / 325 F. Line one 20 cm (8 inch) square baking pan.
2. To make the cake, mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl with a spoon/spatula. Transfer batter into the prepared pan, smooth out the top, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
3. Meanwhile, make the cashew cream icing, by blending everything together in a food processor until smooth. Adjust flavor, if necessary. Chill.
4. When the cake is cool, spread cashew cream icing over the top. Slice and enjoy!