My sister gifted me this awesome hob (stove-top) waffle iron for Christmas. I was excited because I could finally make and eat waffles without worrying about the gluten-ified electric waffle iron. I went online to hunt for a suitable paleo-friendly and dairy-free waffle recipe. This is pretty much it… these waffles are simple to make and are sweetened ripe bananas. They are soft and spongy, making them perfect to sop up lots of syrup (if you’re that way inclined).
I enjoyed these waffles for brunch with honey and fruit.
PALEO COCONUT FLOUR BANANA WAFFLES (gluten-, dairy-free)
makes two 20 cm (8 inch) square waffles
adapted from savory lotus: grain-free banana waffles
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- coconut oil to cook
1. Grease waffle iron with coconut oil. Preheat.
2. In a bowl, mix together the coconut flour, salt, eggs, coconut milk, melted coconut oil, banana and vanilla until well combined. Quickly stir in the baking soda.
3. Pour half of the batter into the waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Remove from waffle iron. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with whatever you feel like. Enjoy!!