We rarely have double (heavy) or whipping cream in our fridge, but when we do, it’s usually for something like chocolate cream pie, banana cream pie or chicken alfredo. When there are leftovers, we run about thinking what to do with it.
A loves hot chocolate. He particularly loves it with whipped cream. Not just any whipped cream.. it has to be freshly whipped cream, lightly sweetened with a hint of vanilla (talk about picky).
When I stumbled over this recipe, I thought it was perfect. We could freeze lightly sweetened whipped cream in portion sizes, just enough for one mug of hot chocolate. The idea is that you place a dollop of frozen cream on your hot chocolate to enjoy. The problem (which isn’t overly surprising) is that the whipped cream kind of fizzles out, that is, you’re left with a creamy foam, which isn’t really like freshly whipped cream. Personally, I think it was worth a try. I think A said that he would prefer not having cream to this, but you may beg to differ, especially if you like creamy foam on top of your coffee or hot chocolate.
FROZEN WHIPPED CREAM FOR HOT CHOCOLATE
adapted from the creative mama: frozen whipped cream dollops
- double (heavy) or whipping cream
- icing (powdered) sugar, to taste
- vanilla extract, to taste
1. Using electric beaters, beat the cream until soft peaks form.
2. Beat in sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks.
3. Spoon dollops of whipped cream onto a parchment-lined baking tray (cookie sheet) and freeze until solid. Once solid, transfer to a lidded container or ziplock bag. Store in freezer until needed. Enjoy.