This wonderful creation is for people who love pumpkin pie but have stopped eating it because of health/dietary issues. It’s suitable for people who are gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. The pie is simple to make and tastes really good. The best part for me, is knowing that I can have a huge slice (or two) without getting sick afterwards.
The pastry/crust is made from rice flour, arrowroot, tapioca starch, egg, coconut oil, salt, lemon juice and water; the filling: pumpkin puree, eggs, full-fat coconut milk, honey and the classic pumpkin pie spices: cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. You really can’t taste the coconut milk… I swear! The result? I rich pumpkin custard with just the right amount of sweetness and warmth.
I enjoyed serving it for breakfast, lunch and dessert, with and without whipped coconut cream. How will you eat yours?
GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN PIE (dairy-free, honey-sweetened)
makes one 23 cm (9 inch) pie
for the filling
- 425 g (1 – 15 oz tin) pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 125 g (1/3 c and 1/2 tablespoon) raw honey
- 300 ml (1-1/4 c) full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 220 C/425 F.
2. In a large bowl, beat together all of the filling ingredients until well combined. Pour into the par-baked pastry case/pie crust.
3. Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180 C/350 F for another 30-40 minutes, or until just set. The center should still be a little jiggly.
4. Cool pie thoroughly and/or chill before slicing. Enjoy!