Just look at it: A’s perfect pumpkin pie. It is made from scratch… with lots of love.
We shared the kitchen together in our pumpkin pie making fest. I concentrated on my gluten-, dairy- and refined sugar free version and A went about crafting his by making an all-butter shortcrust pastry/crust and filling it with the traditional pumpkin puree, condensed milk, eggs and spices. The result? Well, just look at it! It set well, it sliced well, and tasted awesome. So awesome in fact, he made another for the New Year! All that was missing from this photo was the lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Note, the shortcrust pastry is not rolled in this recipe. I guess we’re just lazy, and hate washing up.
TRADITIONAL PUMPKIN PIE
makes one 23 cm (9 inch) pie
pumpkin filling from the label from the Farmer’s Market Pumpkin Pie recipe
for the pastry case/pie shell
- 200 g (1 2/3 c) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100 g (1/3 c and 2 teaspoons) salted European butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 25 g (3 tablespoons) icing (powdered) sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk, or as needed
for the pumpkin filling
- 425 g (1 – 15 oz tin) pumpkin puree
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 400 g (1 – 14 oz tin) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
1. Grease one 23 cm (9 inch) pie dish with butter. Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F.
2. To make the pastry case/pie shell: pulse together the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor until the butter lumps are just smaller than the size of a pea. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and pulse until the mixture just comes together. If it’s still a little too dry, repeat with 1 more tablespoon milk.
3. Pour the mix into the prepared pie dish and press into the bottom and sides of the dish to create the pastry case/pie shell. Freeze for 5-10 minutes. Prick the base with a fork and bake in the preheated oven, on the middle shelf for 10 minutes. If there are any bubbles formed during the baking process, press them down with the back of a spoon. Set aside.
4. Increase oven temperature to 220 C/425 F.
5. To make the pumpkin filling: Mix all the ingredients together until well combined, then pour into the prepared pastry case/pie shell.
6. Bake in the middle to top third part of the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180 C/350F and bake for another 35-40 minutes. The pie is done when the middle is set, but still a little jiggly. Cool pie thoroughly and/or chill before slicing. Enjoy!