Ever since I made my no-bake strawberry cream pie, I wanted to make a spiced pumpkin version. Of course, I had to wait until the right time of the year to make it… At Thanksgiving, I enjoyed this slice of heaven whilst everyone else was pigging out on their pumpkin and/or pecan pie.
Not only is this pie awesome tasting, it is also gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free!
It is made with simple ingredients: walnuts and coconut for the base/crust; pumpkin puree, cashews, vanilla powder, raw honey, sea salt, coconut oil and autumn spices for the filling. The result is an incredibly smooth, creamy and dense cream pie. The filling just melts in your mouth, and the warmth of the spices will make your taste buds dance with joy.
I enjoyed slices with a light sprinkling of sea salt, believe it or not. If you’re feeling super-indulgent, why not decorate it with whipped coconut cream (sweetened with honey)?
NO-BAKE PALEO PUMPKIN CREAM PIE (dairy-free, honey-sweetened)
adapted from honey and spice: strawberry cream pie
makes one 20 cm (8 inch) cake
for the crust/base
- 68 g (3/4 c) raw walnuts
- 22 g (1/4 c) unsweetened desiccated (shredded) coconut
for the filling
- 130 g (1 c) raw cashews, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 350 g (scant 1 1/2 c) unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder
- 100 g (4 1/2 tablespoons) raw honey, softened
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 200 g (1 c) extra-virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Blitz together the crust ingredients in a food processor until the mixture looks like damp sand. Press into the bottom of a 20 cm (8 inch) round spring-form pan.
2. Blitz the cashews in a food processor until smooth (cashew butter). Add the remaining filling ingredients and blitz until smooth, scraping the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is processed evenly.
3. Pour the filling into the base/crust. Chill until set. Remove from pan. To slice, use a warm knife. Enjoy!