We had leftover sour cream in the fridge again… so, we scoured the internet for a good recipe to use it up.
These cupcakes are super light and moist, and the vanilla buttercream complements them perfectly. It was difficult for A just to eat one. They are seriously the ultimate vanilla cupcakes!!!
SOUR CREAM VANILLA CUPCAKES WITH VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
cakes adapted from the cupcake project: ultimate vanilla cupcake
buttercream adapted from tried and tasty: vanilla buttercream frosting
for the cupcakes
- 200 g (1 c) raw cane (turbinado) sugar
- 115 g (1/2 c) salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 75 g (1/3 c) sour cream
- 160 ml (2/3 c) milk
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) olive oil
- 255 g (1 3/4 c) cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
for the buttercream frosting
- 225 g (1 c) salted butter, at room temperature
- 360 g (3 c) icing (powdered) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons cream (or milk)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C/350F. Line cupcake pans with 16 paper cases/liners.
2. For the cakes: with electric beaters, beat the butter and sugar together to create a fine crumb mix. Set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, beat together the eggs, vanilla, sour cream, milk and oil. Gradually add to the sugar/butter mix whilst beating until everything is well incorporated.
4. In a clean bowl, mix together the cake flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda). Add to the mix, and beat until combined. The batter will be runny.
5. Fill cupcake cases/liners to just over half way full. Bake in the middle of the oven for 18-22* minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a cake. The cakes will be pale and not golden brown. Immediately remove from the pans and transfer to wire rack to cool.
6. For the frosting: beat the butter until it lightens in color and is fluffy, then beat in the sugar until fluffy, and finally beat in the vanilla. Mix in just enough milk to make a smooth spreadable/pipeable consistency. Use to decorate the cakes as you wish. Enjoy!!!
* note original recipe states 14 minutes.