Banana bread is one of those things that I have this weird relationship with. I sometimes dream about banana bread all day, but when I make it, I realize that I’m actually not that much of a fan of it. However, if it’s there, I will eat it anyway.
Don’t get me wrong, this banana bread is pretty rad; it’s moist and packed full of banana-ry goodness. Not only is it gluten-, dairy- and refined sugar-free, it is also gum-free!
It’s made with rice flours and is lightly sweetened with honey. If you like your banana bread sweeter, simply add more honey.
MOIST RICE FLOUR BANANA BREAD (gluten-, dairy-, refined sugar-free)
makes one 30 cm (12 inch) loaf or two smaller 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaves
- 450 g (1 lb, 1 3/4 cups, ~3-4) very ripe/overripe banana flesh, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 120 ml (100 g, 1/2 cup) olive oil
- 55 g (2 1/2 tablespoons) softened raw honey, or more if you like it sweeter
- 200 g (1 1/4 cups) brown rice flour
- 100 g (3/4 cup and 1 heaped tablespoon) glutinous/sweet rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Butter or grease loaf tin(s) (pan(s)).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: mashed bananas, eggs, oil and honey.
3. In a smaller bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: rice flours, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla powder and salt.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
5. Pour into prepared loaf tin(s) (pans(s)) and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer/cocktail stick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!