I’m actually not a fan of the term “superfood”, but this salad was inspired by a visit to Love Dog Café on Lopez Island (now, sadly closed) and that’s what they called it. I searched high and low for a gluten-free place to eat at, just in case we wanted to stop for dinner. We sure did need nourishment after cycling around Lopez all afternoon. I’m glad we found this place, the dinner was really good! The owner/chef had topped the superfood salad (see photo below) with a walnut/mushroom patty and drizzled it with a balsamic glaze. It was super yummy!
I wanted to eat the similar salad at home. I loved the texture, freshness and variety of ingredients. I used quinoa, collard greens, chickpeas, orange, blueberries, sweet potatoes, beetroot (beets), tomatoes, carrot, white cabbage, avocado, green beans and toasted walnuts. Although I didn’t make a walnut/mushroom patty or drizzle any balsamic glaze over the salad, it was still pretty darn good. The dressing I used was simply made with orange juice/olive oil, but feel free to use any salad dressing of your choice.
Another plus of this salad was that I got to use my super-duper spiral vegetable slicer. I have been using this on and off all summer, and it was perfect for the beetroot (beets) and carrots in this salad.
Serves 2-3 (or 1, if you’re me)
For the salad
- 70 g (2.45 oz) cooked quinoa, cooled
- 65 g (2.28 oz) cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 75 g (2.45 oz) collard greens, stalked removed, leaves cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) strips
- 1 small orange, peeled and separated into segments
- 75 g (2.45 oz) fresh blueberries
- 100 g (3.5 oz) sweet potatoes, cubed, cooked, cooled
- 50 g (1.75 oz) beetroot (beets), sliced using a spiral vegetable slicer/thinly sliced
- 100 g (3.5 oz) baby plum/grape tomatoes
- 1 small carrot, sliced using a spiral vegetable slicer/thinly sliced
- 50 g (1.75 oz) white cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- 50 g (1.75 oz) green beans, snipped to 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces, cooked in boiling water for 1 minute, cooled under running water, drained
- 25 g (1 oz) walnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
For the dressing (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- roasted garlic flakes, to taste
- dried chili flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Arrange the salad onto a plate in any shape or form you please.
2. To make the dressing, mix everything together, drizzle over the salad and enjoy.