This incredibly rich, creamy and chocolaty ice cream is vegan, dairy-, egg- and refined sugar-free. It is also made with simple ingredients: coconut milk, honey, cocoa powder, vanilla powder and sea salt.
I made this ice cream a few times throughout the summer. I had a few cans of coconut milk in the fridge to make whipped coconut cream, but unfortunately they flunked out on me, so I created this ice cream instead. It is such an awesome treat.
If you like a sweeter ice cream, use less cocoa powder and more honey. If you like a more dark/bitter chocolate flavor, add more cocoa powder and less honey. Personally, I find this ice cream pretty dark/bitter tasting, but I love that.
COCONUT MILK CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM (vegan, dairy-, egg-, refined sugar-free)
makes ~ 1 liter/quart
- 2 – 400 ml (13.6 fl oz) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 100 g (about 5 tablespoons) honey, or to taste
- 75 g (3/4 c) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch vanilla powder
- 1 small pinch sea salt
1. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together until well combined
2. Churn/freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker*, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a plastic/glass container with lid and freeze.
3. To serve, remove the ice cream from the freezer 10 minutes before scooping and enjoying
* If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a durable container and freeze for 45 minutes. Remove from the freezer and stir it vigorously with a fork, whisk or hand (stick) blender. Make sure that you beat it up well, breaking up all frozen sections. Return the mixture to the freezer. Repeat this procedure every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously until the mixture is evenly frozen. This procedure will take about 3 hours.