Hot chocolate in this weather? Ermm… yes, and no. Yes, because I’m blogging about it now, and no, I didn’t make this in summer. I made it when it was still cold in the Pacific Northwest. It’s now hard to think how cold it gets in the winter because we’ve been having such a great summer; temperatures have been hitting 30 C/85 F+ with sunny skies for weeks. But it does get cold, and when it does, one wants to drink hot chocolate!
So, many months ago, I created this awesome dairy-free chocolate ice cream with coconut cream, but didn’t write down the ingredients. I tried to recreate the recipe, but then decided it was way too cold for ice cream, so made the base for the ice cream and heated it for hot chocolate instead. It was a real treat with my movie! It’s so thick, rich, smooth, chocolaty and so indulgent, it seems sinful. I daren’t even think about the number of calories in this mug, but since my focus is more about eating more nutritious food rather than calorie watching, I don’t particularly care.
HOT CHOCOLATE WITH COCONUT CREAM (dairy and refined sugar-free)
makes 1 mug
- 275 g (9.5 oz) coconut cream (or coconut milk*, not coconut beverage)
- 2-1/4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, or to taste
- 1-1/2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- 1 pinch vanilla powder (optional)
- 1 tiny pinch sea salt
* it will not be as thick or creamy with coconut milk, but good, nonetheless
1. Mix the ingredients together in a big mug until everything is incorporated. Be patient, it will take a little while to get the cocoa powder mixed in.
2. Heat in the microwave until to the temperature of your liking. You could also heat the hot chocolate on the hob/stove.
3. Sip slowly, making sure you savor the fat, antioxidants and every single calorie, because you’re worth it!