Back in the day when I used to eat gluten and dairy, I used to eat a mixture of all sorts of breakfast foods, such as toast, pancakes, porridge/oatmeal, waffles, French toast, cereal, Greek yoghurt etc etc. When I went gluten- and dairy-free, I did go through a patch of eating gluten-free cereal with almond milk, but the sugar didn’t agree with me and making almond milk (organic, with no gums) was starting to get expensive, especially just for that purpose.
Eating breakfast is now a bit of a challenge. It’s either scrambled eggs or fruit and/or nuts. For my weekends, this crumble is my breakfast. It has at least two portions of fruit, together with my dose of selenium from the brazil nuts. It’s simple to make and packed full of yumminess. I love it so much because it’s similar to eating dessert for breakfast!
If you can get your hands on wild blueberries, please use these. They are packed with so much more nutritional goodness than the cultivated varieties.
BANANA AND WILD BLUEBERRY BRAZIL NUT CRUMBLE (gluten-, dairy-, refined sugar-free)
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 100 g (3/4 c) frozen wild blueberries
- 15 g (0.5 oz, about 4 small-medium) brazil nuts, roughly chopped
- ground cinnamon, to taste
1. Microwave the banana and blueberries together in a bowl for about 60-90 seconds, or until warmed through.
2. Sprinkle over the chopped brazil nuts and dust with ground cinnamon. Stir everything together before enjoying!