These muffins are packed full of fiber and juicy blueberries. They are great for snacking, lunch or breakfast. They have a wonderful depth in flavor from the molasses with just the right amount of sweetness. For maximum nutritional benefit from the blueberries, use wild grown if you can find them.
BLUEBERRY BRAN MUFFINS
makes 12-14 muffins
adapted from Joy of Baking – Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 150 g (1 c) plain/all-purpose flour
- 50 g (1/3 c) wholemeal/whole wheat flour
- 45 g (3/4 c) wheat bran
- 85 g (1/3 c plus 1 tablespoon) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 c) unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 240 ml (1 c) milk mixed with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, left until thickened*
- 140 g (1 c) frozen blueberries, do not thaw
* alternatively use 240 ml (1 c) buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 190 C/375 F. Line 1 or 2 – 12 hole muffin tins/pans with liners or spray liberally with oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients: plain/all-purpose flour, wholemeal/whole wheat flour, wheat bran, light brown sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda/baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: egg white, molasses, vanilla extract, oil and milk/lemon juice mix.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until moistened. Do not over mix. Gently stir in the blueberries. Fill muffin cups to just above ¾ full.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean.
6. Remove muffins onto a wire rack to cool slightly before enjoying.