This dish gives you an insight of what I eat on a daily basis. It’s relatively simple to throw together, because I usually have all the odds and ends in my cupboard/freezer. It’s just a matter of warming things through in the microwave, tossing it altogether, seasoning it and then eating it.
It’s plant based, which makes me happy inside and out, and packed full of all the good stuff, including fruit, vegetables, beans and nuts. It’s wholesome and nourishing, what else do you want?
You can enjoy this dish warm or cold, but I prefer warm. I love how the heat from the warm ingredients wilts the spinach, and how the moisture plumps up the raisins. I devour the whole recipe below because it is my dinner, not an accompaniment.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try throwing in some curry powder, or any other seasoning you deem fit.
KABOCHA SQUASH, GREEN BEANS, SPINACH, CHICKPEAS AND QUINOA
- 300 g (10.5 oz) kabocha squash, cut into 1.25 cm (1/2 inch) chunks, tossed in 2 teaspoons olive oil and roasted at 200 C/400 F for 30-45 minutes, or until soft*
- 75 g (~2.5 oz) cooked quinoa, warmed
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful green beans, snipped into 2.5 cm (1 inch) lengths, blanched for 1 minute
- 1-400 g (14 oz) tin chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained and warmed
- 28 g (1 oz) raisins
- salt, pepper, roasted garlic flakes, chili flakes, to taste
- 28 g (1 oz) walnuts bits/halves, lightly toasted
* alternatively, omit the oil and steam the squash for 10-15 minutes, or until soft
1. In a large bowl, toss everything together except the walnuts.
2. Season to taste, dish up and scatter walnuts on top.
3. Shove spoonfuls into your mouth, chew very slowly and swallow. Repeat until it is all gone. Enjoy!