An ice cream that is creamy, dreamy, and also free from dairy and added sweeteners? Yep! This delectable treat is made simply by blitzing together some frozen bananas, raw cacao, sea salt and vanilla powder (optional).
I know, I know, calling pureed frozen fruit isn’t really ice cream. I mean, it’s not laden with mammalian juice (aka milk/cream), refined sugar/other disgusting sweeteners or eggs. If you dairy eaters out there doubt the flavor and texture of this dessert, please give it a try, just the once, it might just pleasantly surprise you.
This ice cream is smooth, creamy and packed full of flavor. The sweetness comes from the bananas, so be sure to use super-ripe bananas*. It’s packed with all the good stuff from the bananas and raw cacao, so you can indulge without feeling guilty afterwards. If this doesn’t convince you to make this awesome ice cream, the following might:
- you do not need to own an ice cream maker, just a food processor
- you can make something other than banana bread with your over-ripe bananas
- it’s ready to eat in less than 5 minutes (if your bananas are already frozen)
* I never buy bananas with the intention of freezing them. What normally happens is that I buy 14 bananas during my weekly shop and sometimes life gets in the way, and low and behold, we have a few over-ripe bananas. They are then sliced and individually frozen, before being dumped into a container/bag and stored in the freezer.
BANANA AND CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM (dairy- and refined sugar-free, vegan)
Makes 1-2 servings
- 200 g (7 oz, ~2 small) frozen over-ripe banana flesh
- 12 g (2 tablespoons) raw cacao, or more/less to taste
- 1 small pinch sea salt
- 1 tiny pinch vanilla powder (optional)
1. Process all of the ingredients in the bowl of your food processor until well mixed and looks like ice cream. Scoop into bowls (or eat directly from the food processor bowl) and serve. Enjoy!
Note: This ice cream doesn’t freeze very well. It’s best eaten immediately.