A grain-free banana bread that is moist, dense and banana-ry? Yep, you read it right! It’s gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, gum-free and dairy-free. It’s lighter than traditional banana bread, with a texture similar to that of French bread. Yummy!
So, how is this possible? One key ingredient is almond butter (or any other nut butter you choose). When I gave A. one slice, he had no idea it was made primarily made out of almond butter… the same almond butter he’d been avoiding for the last couple of months.
The other key ingredients are acid and bicarbonate of soda/baking soda. The original recipe called for apple cider vinegar, but I didn’t have any, so don’t laugh when I tell you I improvised with lemon juice and rice wine vinegar. I was a little worried about the flavor, but A yummed down the leftover batter in the bowl with no idea that idea it was in there. The combination of acid and bicarbonate of soda/baking soda gives the banana bread an amazing lift. In fact, it lifted so much, some of my batter spilled out of my pan! Not to worry though, it was still edible. I’m just thankful I put the loaf pan onto a tray/sheet. The remaining ingredients are “normal” banana bread ingredients: mashed ripe bananas, a sweetener (honey, optional), eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt.
Seriously, mix it all up*, pour into a pan, bake, cool, slice and slowly/quickly stuff into your face, and then wonder at the marvel you have created. It’s as simple as that.
* In fact, you can beat the heck out of this batter (if you’re that way inclined) and the banana bread will not be the slightest bit chewy. Why not? No gluten, ha!
GRAIN-FREE BANANA BREAD (gluten-, refined sugar-, dairy-free)
makes one 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf
- 2 really ripe, medium-sized bananas, peeled and mashed
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional, depending how sweet you like your banana bread)
- 250 g (1 c) organic almond butter, or other nut butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda/ baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (or 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F. Line one 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf pan with parchment and set onto a baking tray/sheet.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the bananas, eggs, honey, almond butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt until well blended.
3. Quickly stir in the bicarbonate of soda/baking soda, lemon juice and rice vinegar/apple cider vinegar.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until an insert cocktail stick/skewer comes out clean. Cool thoroughly before slicing Enjoy!