Coconut bliss in one bite. This fudge is creamy, barely sweet and packed full of coconutty goodness. It’s nutritious, dairy- and refined sugar-free and made from just 5 ingredients: coconut, coconut oil, dates, vanilla and salt. The pieces can be dipped in chocolate if desired. For me, they didn’t get that far… they went straight into my stummy.
A couple of tips: use a freshly opened package of coconut and the plumpest Medjool dates you can find. I like using these.
Warning: these are pretty addictive. I ate one piece after another, and then returned to the refrigerator to get another piece. Eventually, I just took the whole container and sat down.
VEGAN COCONUT FUDGE
adapted from the coconut mama: health homemade mounds candy
makes 1 – 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) tin (pan)
- 90 g (1 c) unsweetened desiccated (shredded) coconut
- 55 g (4 tablespoons) coconut oil, melted
- 4 plump Medjool dates, pitted (or more if you’d like it sweeter)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
1. Place the coconut and melted coconut oil into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Heat the mix in the microwave, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes on medium power, or until the coconut appears “puffy”. Be careful not to scorch. This step can also be done on the hob (stove) over low heat. Set aside and let cool.
3. In a food processor, blend the Medjool dates with vanilla extract and salt until smooth and creamy. It does seem that 4 dates and a bit of vanilla and salt will not get there, but be patient, it will.
4. Mix the coconut and date mixture together, using hands if necessary.
5. Press firmly into a greaseproof/waxed paper-lined 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf tin (pan) and even out the surface with the back of a spoon or your fingers.
6. Freeze for 30-60 minutes, or until firm. Remove from the tin (pan) and unwrap. Cut into pieces and enjoy. Store any unused portions in the refrigerator. Enjoy!