Wow. Just, wow.
The flavor and texture of this apple tart will make you sing and dance. What’s best is that it contains no gluten, no refined sugar and no xanthan/guar gum. It’s plant based, delicious and does not contain a myriad of weird flours that you’ve never heard of. The ingredients are clean, simple and nutritious. The pastry/crust is made from blitzing together millet flour, almond flour, coconut oil and salt, and the filling is made from sliced apples, lemon juice, maple syrup, flaked/sliced almonds, glazed with fruit-sweetened jam/preserves/fruit spread. The pastry/crust is crisp, has a great flavor and just the right amount of sweetness, and the apples, when cooked just right, are soft, not stodgy.
One problem of this tart was that the pastry/crust stuck to the tin/pan, even after I had liberally greased it with coconut oil. I would recommend using a parchment-lined tin/pan, if possible. I think I will add a touch of ground cinnamon the next time I make it (possibly around Thanksgiving), just to give it a little warmth. All in all, a great tart! I ate half of this myself after dinner. I couldn’t help it! It’s been far too long that I’ve had really good baked goods. Guess what? No ill effects. Woohoo!
VEGAN APPLE TART (GLUTEN-, REFINED SUGAR- AND GUM-FREE)
Adapted from: A House in the Hills: Apple Tart – Vegan, Gluten-Free
Makes one 23 cm (9 inch) tart
For the crust
- 145 g (1 c) millet flour
- 85 g (3/4 c) almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 55 g (1/4 c) coconut oil, melted
- 60 g (1/4 c) maple syrup
For the filling
- 4 apples, peeled and cored, evenly and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons flaked/sliced almonds
For the glaze
- 4 tablespoons fruit-sweetened apricot jam/preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F) and line a 23 cm (9 inch) tart tin/pan with parchment paper, or grease heavily with coconut oil.
2. In a food processor, blitz together all of the pastry/crust ingredients until well combined. Press firmly into the sides and bottom of the prepared tin/pan.
3. Pierce the base of the pastry case (pie shell) with a fork several times. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 15 minutes. If there are any raised bubbles, press down with a fork whilst still warm.
4. Arrange the apple slices into the baked pastry case (pie shell). Be as creative as you want. Combine the maple syrup and lemon juice together, and then brush over the apples. Scatter over the flaked/sliced almonds.
5. Bake tart for approximately 1 hour, or until the apples are soft and lightly browned.
6. To make the glaze, gently heat together the jam and water, and then stir in the lemon juice. Pass the mixture through a sieve and liberally brush over the apple tart. Slice and enjoy!