I haven’t had guests over for dinner for quite some time. I think this was the first time for A and I. If there is to be dinner, there always has to be dessert! Since I’m now gluten-, dairy-, soy-, meat- and refined sugar-free, it was going to be a little bit of a challenge. The main course consisted of poached cod and parsley sauce (peanut sauce for me), baked potatoes, carrots and asparagus. Dessert was banana cream pie (raw vegan one for me). I have to say, I certainly was NOT suffering whilst eating my dessert. It was incredible! I had one of these tarts after dinner, and then when the guests had gone, I had the other. I know, I’m greedy! Again, I’m thankful that I’m not the size of a house!
The whipped coconut cream on top is light, creamy and dreamy. Underneath this is a layer of fresh bananas, then a lusciously creamy banana and peanut butter filling. The crust is sweet and chewy and incredibly moreish. Go make this quick, your belly will thank you for it!
RAW VEGAN BANANA CREAM PIE (gluten-, dairy-, refined sugar-free)
makes 2 – 10 cm (4 inch) tarts
For the crust:
- 110 g (1 c) walnuts
- 150 g (1 c) medjool dates (I use Bard Valley), pitted
- 1 small pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1 large frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons natural salted peanut butter
- 1 medium banana, sliced
For the topping:
1. In a food processor, blitz together the walnuts, dates and salt until evenly blended. Divide into two even sized portions, and press each into one – 10 x 2.5 cm (4 x 1 inch) lightly greased round tart tin/pan (with removable base). If you have any left over, pop into your mouth and eat. Freeze.
2. Make the filling by blitzing together the frozen banana and peanut butter in a food processor until smooth. Be patient, it’ll get there. Once ready, divide evenly into the lined tart tins/pans. Freeze until ready to serve.
3. When ready to serve, pop the tarts out of the tins/pans and plate. Let thaw at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, then top with a layer of fresh banana slices and coconut whipped cream. Grate a little vegan dark chocolate on top and enjoy!