… homemade, with no refined sugars or other weird stuff. This smooth, rich, melt in your mouth chocolate is made with just three ingredients: coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa powder and maple syrup. It’s pure unadulterated deliciousness.
The reasoning behind me creating this recipe was because I was craving chocolate. The only problem is that I now have developed a sugar sensitivity, where every time I eat it, I have an eczema outbreak. This unfortunately includes eating it in chocolate. On top of that, so many chocolate bars out there contain soy, another thing that brings me out in a rash. There is one chocolate I used to dig, and still do, but choose not to eat it due to the sugar, it’s the Equal Exchange Organic milk and Hazelnut bar. Their darker varieties are also very good.
I can now have chocolate, ok, it’s not really the same, but it satiates my craving for chocolate. Plus, it has two super ingredients in it: coconut oil (I don’t even know where to start with explaining the health benefits of coconut oil, just read up on it, and eat it!) and cocoa powder, a great source of flavonoids. Remember people, we all need fat in our bodies, but quit eating the weird, unnatural fat and eat healthy natural fats. Although saying that, even pasture butter is far better than those disgusting “plasticy” margarines.
DARK CHOCOLATE (vegan, dairy-, refined sugar-, soy-free)
Makes about 10-12 chocolates
- 27 g (2 tablespoons) coconut oil, melted
- 12 g (2 tablespoons) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- optional additions: tiny pinch of salt, few drops of vanilla extract, tiny pinch of cayenne etc
1. Mix together the coconut oil, cocoa, maple syrup, and any optional additions, if using.
2. Pour into a lightly greased chocolate/candy mold and freeze until solid.
3. Tap the chocolates out of the mold, and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Enjoy!