This soup will warm the cockles of your heart. It’s hearty, nutritious, packed full of flavor and ideal for a cold winter’s night. Best of all, is that it’s vegan, that’s right folks, a plant-based soup that is hearty. For meat eaters, you really don’t miss the meat here. It’s another great way of getting more leafy greens and other veg into your diet.
You can use any variety or combination of beans you wish. My favorite combination is black beans and kidney beans. Next time, I might add chickpeas.
KALE, CARROT, TOMATO & BEAN SOUP
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 4-6 large cloves garlic, skinned and crushed
- 225 g (1/2 lb, about 1 bunch) kale, remove all spiny/chewy veins, and tear into bite-sized pieces
- 300 g (10.5 oz) carrots, topped and tailed, chopped into chunks (do not peel)
- 1 – 800 g (28 oz) tin/can diced tomatoes
- vegetarian stock cubes to taste
- 1 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning, or to taste
- 2 – 400 g (14 oz) tins/cans beans, drained and rinsed well
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili flakes to taste (optional)
- fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan until hot. Fry onion and garlic until aromatic and lightly browned.
2. Add kale and stir until nicely wilted. Add carrots, stir.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and about 720 ml (3 c) hot water, add stock cubes and herb seasoning. Simmer.
4. Meanwhile, take half a tin/can of beans and place into a food processor with 2-3 tablespoons water and blitz until smooth. Add the processed and remaining beans to the pan. Stir. Thin soup with water if necessary.
5. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Let cool slightly before spooning into bowls and topping with chopped parsley. Enjoy!