This version of bolognese sauce will probably make a lot of people weep. Why? It’s vegan. The resulting meatless sauce was served with gluten-free pasta (and not spaghetti). Are you rolling around crying yet? To the readers that I haven’t lost in the last few sentences, I guess you’re really interested in this meatless bolognese sauce. Here’s the low down: it’s made with sieved tomatoes, walnuts and mushrooms. Seriously. These three ingredients are packed full of goodness. On top of that, the sauce is ahh-mazing!
MEATLESS BOLOGNESE SAUCE: MUSHROOMS & WALNUTS (VEGAN)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 55 g (1/2 c) walnuts, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained, then finely chopped
- 150 g (5.25 oz) button/crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 200 g (7 oz) crushed/sieved tomatoes
- vegetable stock cubes to taste
- Italian herb seasoning to taste
- chili flakes to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked pasta to serve
1. Heat coconut oil in a medium-large frying pan until hot. Fry the onions and garlic until aromatic and lightly colored.
2. Add walnuts and mushrooms and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, herb seasoning and chili flakes if using. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
4. Check the flavor and adjust seasoning if necessary. Pour over freshly cooked pasta and enjoy!