It takes just coconut oil, chocolate, walnuts and salt to make this vegan fudge. That’s it. You don’t need to beat it until your arm hurts, just heat, stir and chill. It is really that simple.
It’s not like the traditional fudge fudge, but it’s so darn good. It’s not chewy, but it is dense, rich, smooth, and just melts in your mouth perfectly. Two downsides: (i) it softens really fast, so you will have to store it in the refrigerator; (ii) it will disappear _VERY_ fast! Please, do not blame me for any weight gain from consuming this fudge.
I wanted to come up with a dairy-free fudge so that I didn’t have to drool over the traditional fudge we made as a gift. The first batch I made was made for a small (about 9 cm / 3.5 inch square) container. I didn’t want to waste expensive ingredients on a recipe I was just testing, but it turned out great! In fact, this amount was devoured by A and I in a brief sitting. A is a dairy-eater, and even he said it was good!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE & WALNUT REFRIGERATOR FUDGE
Makes 1 – 20 cm (8 inch) square dish / pan
- 250 g (8.8 oz) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, about 55-65% cocoa solids, broken into chunks
- 125 g (1/2 c and 1 tablespoon) coconut oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 2-3 handfuls walnuts
1. Place chocolate in a bowl, and heat in a microwave in 15 second bursts, stirring between each interval until fully melted. Be careful not to scorch the chocolate. Stir in the coconut oil and salt until smooth. (Alternatively, you can warm the chocolate, coconut oil and salt together in a saucepan on the hob/stove).
2. Stir in walnuts, and pour into one 20 cm (8 inch) square pan / dish. Let cool before chilling in the refrigerator to solidify.
3. Once solid, chop into pieces and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.