This cornbread is moist, tender, and absolutely delicious.
Since I went gluten-free, my baking took a nosedive. There were three reasons for this: (i) I didn’t miss the baked goods, (ii) I needed to lose weight, (iii) I didn’t want to make gluten-free stuff that had a myriad of ridiculous ingredients in it.
Initially, I bought some gluten-free flours because I thought I’d eventually play around with them. For months, I didn’t get around to using them because I realized that I had bad reactions to the gums in gluten-free flour blends. My health has got a little better, I wanted to try this recipe with this flour in my cupboard. As you know, I hate wasting food, so it was a good use for it. I didn’t get any noticeable reaction to this recipe, but will be working with my own, non-gum flour blend soon.
I initially wrote this down on my weekly menu to go with my tofu chili non carne. I always thought cornbread was dry and crumbly, and this is why I always shy away from it. But from Yammie’s pictures, she convinced me to try her recipe! I was not disappointed. It’s great on its own, but even better slathered in butter (for dairy eaters) and coconut oil (for non dairy eaters), jam, syrup and lots of other yummy stuffs! I can imagine it’s also perfect with cream cheese and strawberry jam together.
I froze what I had leftover, and on occasion, I microwave a piece from frozen and drizzle on honey, golden syrup or maple syrup. It’s just like a cake. Cakes that I have not had since I went gluten-free. Yum yum!
MOIST CORNBREAD (GLUTEN-FREE)
Makes 1 – 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) pan
Adapted from Yammie’s Gluten Freedom: Super Moist Cornbread
- 275 g (9.6 oz) fresh corn kernels or drained tinned sweetcorn kernels
- 240 ml (1 c) soy milk or other milk alternative
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 28-55 g (2-4 tablespoons) dark muscovado (brown) sugar
- 315 g (1 1/2 c) plain (all-purpose) gluten free flour
- 150 g (1 c) yellow medium cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon pysllium husks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F), and grease a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) pan.
2. In a blender, blitz the corn kernels, milk, oil, eggs and sugar until smooth.
3. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), pysllium husks and salt. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour into prepared pan and smooth off the top. Bake in middle of preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
5. Slice and serve. Enjoy!