These chocolate bites are not for the faint hearted. They chock-full of chocolaty goodness, and are soft, chewy, fudgy and incredibly moreish. The best things about these morsels are that they are gluten-free, dairy-free and super easy to make.
Warning: if you can’t take your sugar well (.. like me), you must limit yourself to 1-2 per sitting, otherwise you will have a severe sugar high… and low afterwards.
FUDGY CHOCOLATE BROWNIE CRINKLES (GLUTEN-FREE)
Makes about 35
- 3 large egg whites (about 90 g or 3.2 oz), at room temperature
- 240 g (2 c) icing (powdered) sugar
- 45 g (1/2 c) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 135 g (4.75 oz) dark (bittersweet) chocolate*, 70%+, melted and cooled
- 1 small pinch salt
- 65 g (1/2 c) dark (semi-sweet or bittersweet) chocolate chips
- small handful of chopped walnuts (optional)
- extra icing (powdered) sugar for dusting
* alternatively, use 135 g (1 c) dark (semisweet or bittersweet) chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Line two baking trays (pans) with parchment paper or silicone mats.
2. In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Beat in half of the sugar, until glossy and thick, and then add the remaining sugar, cocoa powder, cornflour (cornstarch), melted chocolate and salt. Beat until well incorporated.
4. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts, if using. Let sit for 5 minutes to stiffen.
5. Using a tablespoon measure, take spoonfuls of the dough. Roll each into a ball and dust in icing (powdered) sugar. Place on prepared trays (pans), leaving about 5 cm (2 inches) space between each ball.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until puffed and cracked on top. Cool on trays (pans) for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!