The health buzz about kale has been going on like f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Thankfully, I actually do like kale, and this salad is no exception. You know how kale leaves are normally quite tough and almost inedible? Well, something miraculous happens when you massage the leaves with lemon juice. The leaves transform into wonderful leaves of tenderness. Throw in the toasted pine nuts, ripe avocado, vine-ripened tomatoes, red onion and olives and you’ve got a winner. I can only imagine a shaving of a hard mature (sharp) cheese would really top this salad off (for those who eat cheese).
I love to eat this salad as a main course, where I have the whole bunch of kale just to myself. I suppose you could share this salad and have it as a side dish, but sharing this is not in my vocabulary.
KALE, AVOCADO, TOMATO AND PINE NUT SALAD
Serves 1-2 for a main, or 4-6 as a side (depending how greedy you are)
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed, leaves torn into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, chili flakes, roasted garlic flakes, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cut into chunks
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced
- 6-8 dry-cured black olives, stones/pits removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1. Massage kale with lemon juice for about 5 minutes. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Toss in the olive oil, tomato, avocado, red onion and olives, then season to taste. Sprinkle over pine nuts and enjoy!