I admit that this isn’t a pretty picture, but I find taking a photo of a bowl of chili always challenging, so go with me here. This chili is packed full of protein and is highly nutritious. It’s made with tofu instead of beef, and when you season it correctly, you won’t miss the meat. The sauce spicy, lightly sweet, and just plain delicious. I enjoyed it on a warm day, don’t ask me why I wanted to make chili and cornbread on a day when it was 26 C (78 F) outside… it was just on my menu for the week.
CHILI NON CARNE (TOFU)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or other cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed, and roughly chopped
- 2 small green peppers, deseeded and diced
- 750 g (26.3 oz) passata (strained tomatoes)
- 400 g (14 oz) extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 – 425 g (15 oz) tins kidney/other beans, rinsed and drained
- vegetable stock paste / cube, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- chili, ground cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil until hot over medium heat. Add onions and fry until translucent, then add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, or until aromatic.
2. Add the peppers, stir for 1-2 minutes, then add the passata, tofu, beans, stock, sugar and seasonings.
3. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve with cornbread, baked potato, tortilla chips, or anything you fancy. Enjoy!