A couple of weeks ago, we were invited to a family gathering where we brought along some appetizers. I wanted to make sure that I could eat these appetizers, so we made vegan caprese skewers and bean-free sun-dried tomato “hummus”, and brought along a box of Mary’s Gone Crackers (black pepper). By using high quality ingredients, you really cannot tell that these are vegan. We also made “normal” caprese skewers, with mozzarella.
We’re both kind of crazy for caprese salad. Once we ordered as a starter and it came with balsamic glaze. First we thought ewwww… the idea and taste of vinegar doesn’t really suit our palates. We usually go for naked or an infused/non-infused olive oil. Anyway, there the salad was, sitting on the table, with beautiful red tomatoes, perfectly round slices of mozzeralla, leafy-green basil and big blobs of balsamic vinegar. We scraped the bits of the balsamic off at first, then realized it was pretty darn good! It was thick, rich, sweet and had a little tang. Later, I read a little more into balsamic glaze and how to make it. This glaze goes so well with caprese salad (vegan or otherwise). It also goes perfectly with strawberries and other fruit!
VEGAN CAPRESE SKEWERS WITH BALSAMIC GLAZE
For the balsamic glaze
- 240 ml (1 c) balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
For the skewers:
- extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry with kitchen (paper) towels, cut into 1.25 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- baby plum (grape) tomatoes, sliced in half short wise
- fresh basil leaves
- cocktail sticks
1. In a saucepan, heat balsamic vinegar and sugar, if using over medium heat. Heat until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy (10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, and pour into a glass bottle/jar to cool.
2. Meanwhile, toss tofu with a splash of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper
3. Take one cocktail stick and thread on the tofu, fold a small leaf of basil (tear if needed) and thread that onto the cocktail stick, followed by half a tomato. Continue to make as many skewers as you wish.
4. Serve with balsamic glaze, by drizzling or dipping. Enjoy!