This dish is nutritious, quick and simple to make, and absolutely delicious. It is gluten-free, meat-free and would be vegan if I hadn’t have grated a mountain of cheese on top. Before you turn away in disgust, please read on… that includes you meat eaters out there.
When I chose not to eat meat, it was a conscious choice. When people hear that I am gluten free and no longer eating meat, they show me a face of sympathy, apologize and say how hard it must be for me. This makes me laugh, because it’s not hard, and I enjoy food now, more so than ever. Trying to explain this to these people is a lost cause, so I just don’t.
I used to love making this dish with minced (ground) beef, and now it has been adapted to be made with tofu. The crumbled tofu acts like a sponge, and sops up all the wonderful flavours from the sauce. I have also used this sauce in lasagna, with success. It’s rich and packed full of flavor.
An additional bonus to this dish is that it is so low in calories and fat, that I needed to add cheese just to up my calorific intake for dinner!
If you’re really organized, you can make this dinner within 20 minutes. That includes putting the kettle on to heat the water, for pasta, whilst chopping onions, crushing garlic, slicing mushrooms and crumbling tofu, and then boiling the pasta, whilst making the sauce.
GLUTEN-FREE PASTA WITH TOFU BOLOGNESE
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 450 g (1 lb) mushrooms, sliced
- 750 g (26.3 oz) sieved tomatoes (passata)
- 400 g (14 oz) extra firm tofu, drained and crumble
- 1-2 teaspoons gluten-free vegetable stock concentrate, or to taste
- dried basil, to taste
- dried oregano, to taste
- hot smoked paprika, to taste
- chili flakes, to taste
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 300 g (10.5 oz) gluten-free pasta
- grated Cheddar, to serve (optional)
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt, then stir in the pasta. Cook as directed on the packaging.
2. Meanwhile, eat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Saute onions and garlic until translucent and aromatic.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes, season with a little salt and pepper.
4. Stir in tomatoes, tofu and stock concentrate. Season with herbs, paprika and chili flakes, then simmer for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is done. Check and adjust seasoning if needed. (NOTE: Any left over sauce can be stored in the freezer, simply heat in the microwave from frozen when needed).
5. Drain pasta, divide amongst four plates/bowls, and top with sauce and cheese, if using. Enjoy!!!