Crisp, chewy and moist coconut goodies for anyone?
Super simple recipe; just four ingredients create these coconut treats which are crisp on the outside and chewy and moist on the inside. Enjoy them naked, or partially enrobe in dark (bittersweet) chocolate.
The reason for looking up coconut macaroons is that we had a really good one from D:Floured. It was so good, we had to find a recipe to recreate this goodness at home, at a fraction of the cost. Each of these macaroons, although palm sized was ~$3.50 each, and they weren’t even organic. If my calculations are correct, a whole batch with chocolate, as below, costs around $10 to make (all organic).
CHEWY COCONUT MACAROONS (GLUTEN- AND EGG-FREE)
makes a load (sorry, not more specific here)
- 397 g (14 oz) tin condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 400 g (14 oz or 4 2/3 cups) unsweetened desiccated (shredded) coconut
- dark (bittersweet) chocolate, melted for dipping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Line a couple of baking trays (sheets) with parchment/silicone sheets.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the condensed milk, salt and vanilla extract. Stir in the coconut. Use your hands to combine the mixture until evenly mixed.
3. Use an ice cream scoop to portion out the mixture, and place each portion on the prepared baking tray (sheet).
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the top 1/3 of the preheated oven, or until browned on top and crisp.
5. Let cool before dipping in chocolate, if using. Let set before devouring. Enjoy!