I don’t use the word hate often, but I hate wasting food. Previously, I’ve made double chocolate muffins from leftover sour cream, banana muffins from over ripe bananas (recipe to come) and today’s recipe is for spiced apple muffins from leftover applesauce. There was a jar of applesauce sitting in the fridge for quite a few weeks, and it needed to be put to good use.
I know that applesauce in muffins can make them extremely moist and delicious, so why not make a batch of spiced apple muffins? To these apple muffins, I added a chopped apple that was slightly bruised on one side.
The resulting muffins are super-moist, apple-y, cinnamon-y and incredibly moreish. They are perfect for a snack or packed lunches. Another good thing about these muffins is that the smell emanating from the oven will draw anyone to the kitchen! I may make a buttery crumble/streusel topping for them next time.
NOTE: To veganize this recipe, simply use vegan margarine, olive/sunflower or vegetable oil in place of the butter.
SPICED APPLE MUFFINS
Adapted from catcancook: apple muffins
Makes about 16
- 225 g (1 ½ c) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 200 g (¾ c and 2 ½ tablespoons) light muscuvado (light brown) sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ nutmeg, finely grated
- 390 g (1 ½ c) unsweetened applesauce
- 75 g (1/3 c) salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large eating apple, skin-on, cored, cut into small cubes, about 7.5 mm (1/3 inch)
- 1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line muffin tins (pans) with paper/silicone cases (liners), or grease/butter.
2. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Divide batter between the 16 holes of the muffin tins (pans).
6. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes. The muffins are done when a skewer insert into the muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool before enjoying.